Why companies are switching towards sustainable packaging
Eco-friendly initiatives used to be quite novel in the business world. Several years ago, going green was something that only niche or forward-thinking companies would promote. Today, however, engaging in sustainable practices isn’t something that’s nice to do it’s increasingly becoming the standard.
Numerous groups are urging greater collaboration and eco-friendly measures to protect the environment.
The United Nations notes that in order to maintain current standards of living, the globe would need to have 9.6 billion people by the year 2050, which is almost three planets’ worth of space.
Since there is only one planet where life is possible, everyone must contribute to protecting the environment.
To that end, if you’re an ecommerce store that wants to be more eco-friendly, one important thing you can do is use sustainable packaging. You’re in the business of selling goods to consumers, so you likely use a lot of different materials whenever you pack and ship products.
To help you navigate the ins and outs of sustainable packaging in e-commerce, we’re covering what sustainable packaging is and why companies are switching towards it
What is sustainable packaging?
Sustainable packaging refers to packaging materials and designs that are environmentally friendly and minimize the overall impact on the planet. It is a holistic approach that considers the entire lifecycle of a package, from sourcing of materials to production, transportation, use, and disposal or recycling.
Sustainable packaging aims to reduce waste, decrease the use of non-renewable resources, minimize pollution, and conserve biodiversity. This can include using materials that are biodegradable, compostable, or recyclable, designing packaging that uses less material, or implementing closed-loop recycling systems.
Reasons why companies are switching towards sustainable packaging
- Environmental concerns: Companies are becoming increasingly aware of the negative impact that traditional packaging, particularly plastic packaging, can have on the environment. Sustainable packaging options, such as compostable packaging, can help reduce waste and pollution.
- Consumer demand: Consumers are becoming more environmentally conscious and are more likely to purchase products from companies that are committed to sustainable practices. Companies that use sustainable packaging can differentiate themselves from their competitors and appeal to environmentally conscious consumers.
- Government regulations: Governments around the world are implementing regulations and taxes to reduce the amount of plastic waste, which can encourage companies to switch to more sustainable packaging options.
- Cost savings: In the long-term, sustainable packaging options can be more cost-effective than traditional packaging options, as they can reduce waste disposal costs and increase product shelf life.
- Brand reputation: Companies that invest in sustainable packaging can enhance their brand reputation and improve the public image of their company.
- CSR: Many companies are now committing to corporate social responsibility goals and including in that sustainable packaging as part of their strategy. At SwissPac, we’re committed to empowering businesses to find the most sustainable packaging solution that exists for each of their needs.